The below process should be followed when assisting with the transfer of your clients’ existing domain(s) and data to your Red Cactus reseller account, using WHMCS and Direct Admin.
Please ensure that you follow the below steps to prevent any loss of data once the transfer has been initiated.
The client is required to sign up via your (white-labeled) WHMCS client area;
– Add a hosting package and select the option “I will use my existing domain and update my name servers”
This is crucial, as not to lose any data prior to the transfer being initiated.
There are two ways to take a backup of your client’s host panel data.
1. Download existing website files and database(s) using FileZilla and phpMyAdmin respectively
– You may use any FTP client, but we recommend FileZilla to ensure a smooth file transfer
– phpMyAdmin will assist with exporting the database to a .sql format
– Mail accounts can be provisioned on the new hosting space before importing messages from the existing service provider using the IMAP transfer tool.
2. If migrating from cPanel, use the backup wizard to create your backup file (.tar.gz)
– Please ensure that you have taken all the necessary precautions required to ensure a successful transfer
– Kindly navigate to https://forum.directadmin.com/ for help with taking a backup of your cPanel account
Migrate website and database files to your new hosting space.
– Upload the website files into the public_html folder and restore database(s) via the Direct Admin host panel
– Confirm that all e-Mails are reflecting in your inbox
– If you have taken a cPanel backup, you can now proceed to restore this backup through the Direct Admin host panel
– Kindly navigate to https://forum.directadmin.com/ for help with restoring your cPanel backup
Initiate domain transfer via the WHMCS Client Area.
– Red Cactus will send a ticket request for the domain transfer to the correct authority
– The registrant (owner) of the domain will receive the transfer request which they should accept if they would like to continue with the transfer.
– Domains will then transfer to our hosting environment, co.za’s typically take about 24 hours but .com type domains up to 7 days.
Please confirm e-Mail account settings and webmail URL by navigating to our webmail and e-Mail settings tool.
– Enter your e-Mail address or domain name in the blank address bar and hit “GO“.
– Once rendered you will be provided with your e-Mail account settings and Webmail URL
Kindly familiarize yourself with the following:
- Domain(s) can only be transferred once the e-Mail accounts have been set up, databases restored and website files uploaded.
- Please ensure your domain is UNLOCKED and status set to OK.
- Kindly ensure that the REGISTRANT e-Mail is updated in order to receive the transfer request.
- .com/.net/.org domains usually take up to 5 days to transfer, while additional validation is required.
- Please obtain the relevant EPP code from your existing host, should it be required to transfer your domain.
- Please visit our Knowledge Base for any web-hosting and e-Mail support related assistance
- Alternatively you can contact support and we will give you a nudge in the right direction should your query relate to any 3rd party application(s) causing an issue on your computer and/or mobile device.
- During a domain’s grace period, i.e. first 60 days after registration, it cannot be transferred away, although you can update the name servers to those of Red Cactus.